Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Salsa Verde for Enchiladas

Dear blog followers,

It has been FOREVER since I have last posted! I apologize. My life has gotten pretty crazy as of late....because I'm getting married! So I have been spending countless hours on the phone and looking at vendors instead of in the kitchen where I belong. So I apologize

My cute roommate Chantel is making enchiladas tonight and requested that I make the verde sauce for the enchiladas. Simple enough request. Here is the secret to making some killer verde!

Salsa Verde
Makes 3 cups

15 tomatillos
1 large onion
3 poblano peppers
3 cloves of garlic

*NOTE* This recipe will make a very mild verde. If you would like your verde to have more kick, add in 2-3 serrano or jalapeño peppers.

1. Remove the papery covering from the tomatillos and place on a baking sheet with the poblanos. Dice the onion in quarters and spread the layers over the sheet as well.

2. Roast in oven under the broiler on high, turning frequently, until skin is blistered on all sides.
*NOTE* The more frequently you turn the tomatillos/poblanos, the more evenly they will roast. The more evenly they roast, the easier step 3 will be. :)

3. Remove from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them comfortably. Peel the skins from the tomatillos and the poblanos and place the flesh in a food processor with the onions and garlic. *PLEASE PLEASE be careful not to touch your eyes or face until after you have thoroughly washed your hands. The capsaicin in the peppers will burn your eyes and the sensitive skin on your face like you wouldn't believe! So save yourself the pain.

4. Pulse the tomatillos/peppers/onions/garlic in the food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour over enchiladas, serve in burritos, or just serve it with some tortilla chips! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think that is fantastic that you make your food from scratch. Much tastier (and healthier, too).

    You might be interested in a food co-op thing that I do that saves me a ton of money on fresh fruits and vegetables. It's called Bountiful Baskets and information can be found online. Call me if you have questions about how it works.

    In the meantime, I will keep checking your blog for great ideas on how to use my produce.

    ReplyDelete


Total Pageviews